Lewes Town Council
Lewes Town Council is one of the 300 largest of the 9,800-or-so Parish Councils in England and Wales, with expenditure budgeted at over £1million. It is the successor to Lewes Borough Council, which was incorporated in 1881. We are based at the Town Hall, in the High Street, which has been the home of Lewes’ local Council since 1893.
The Council comprises eighteen elected members – six representing each of three electoral wards (Bridge, Castle, and Priory), and it employs fourteen staff (8 full-time). Council meets approximately every five weeks and often creates working-parties for large projects or short tasks. These can co-opt additional members from the community.